Brian S. Goldstein practices in the areas of international trade and customs law, with particular focus on structuring and restructuring import and export transactions, and resolving intricate customs disputes. He also has extensive experience handling trade issues related to the chemical and pharmaceutical industries.
Admitted to practice in New York and the District of Columbia. He was lead counsel in the U.S. Shoe vs. U.S. case, in which the U.S. Supreme Court held 9-0 that the Harbour Maintenance tax on exports was unconstitutional.
Mr. Goldstein is a past-president of the Customs and International Trade Bar Association and was a member from 1998 to June 2008 of the Advisory Committee on Rules of the U.S. Court of International Trade.
A frequent author and lecturer on topics relating to customs and international trade law, Mr. Goldstein is a member of the New York State Trial Lawyers Association, and the Federal, American and New York State bar associations. He is a 1965 graduate of Brooklyn Law School and a graduate of Brooklyn College of the City of New York.
- Represented WANDL, Inc., a software solutions company specializing in advanced network planning, management, design and the optimization of next-generation multi-layer networks, in its sale by reverse triangular merger to Juniper Networks, Inc. (NYSE: JNPR) for approximately $60 million.
- Represents and assists clients in licensing and export issues and other matters covered by the Export Administration Act (U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security), Foreign Assets Control regulations (U.S. Department of Treasury, Office of Foreign Assets Control) and International Traffic in Arms regulations (U.S. Department of State, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls).
- Lead counsel, U.S. Shoe Corp. v. United States, 523 U.S. 360 (1998), which challenged the Harbor Maintenance Tax assessed on exports leaving the United States. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled unanimously that the tax was unconstitutional, resulting in the refund of millions of dollars to exporters.
- Represented clients in U.S. Customs Focused Assessment reviews.
- Represented chemical and pharmaceutical companies in customs-compliance reviews; assisted clients in matters pertaining to transfer price, royalty and license agreements affecting the dutiable value of imported products; represented foreign manufacturers and U.S. importers in antidumping cases before the U.S. Department of Commerce and the U.S. International Trade Commission.
- Represented clients in customs and trade (antidumping) litigation before the U.S. Court of International Trade and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Represented clients in Foreign Trade Zone customs-audit matters.
- Represented clients in disputes with U.S. Customs concerning the classification and valuation of imported merchandise.
- Represented clients concerning NAFTA preferences and qualifications under other special trade programs.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Brooklyn Law School, J.D., 1965
- Duane Morris LLP
- Of Counsel, 2007-present
- Partner, 2001-2007
- Greenberg Traurig, LLP, New York, New York
- Shareholder, 2000-2001
- Graham & Janes, New York, New York
- Partner, 1998-2000
- Siegel, Mandell & Davidson, New York, New York
- Partner, 1970-1998
- United States Department of Justice, Civil Division, Customs Section
- Trial Attorney, 1966-1970
- Otterbourg, Steindler, Houston & Rosen, New York, New York
- Associate, 1965-1966
- British American Business, Inc.
- Trade Policy Committee
- British-American Chamber of Commerce
- Trade Council
- British-American Business Counsel
- Advisory Committee Member
- United States Court of International Trade
- Advisory Committee Member from 1998 to June 2008
- Conducted seminars on customs law and trade issues in Manchester and Birmingham, England
- Participant in various judicial conferences of the United States Court of International Trade
- Participant in seminars in Osaka, Japan
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Customs and International Trade Bar Association
- Past President
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- United States Court of International Trade
- Member, Advisory Committee on Rules
Honors and Awards
- Listed in Super Lawyers Metro New York for International Law, 2011
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Director, British American Business Inc.
- Co-author, "U.S. Commerce and Treasury Departments Announce Wide-Ranging Changes to Further Ease Travel, Commerce and Investment Restrictions on Cuba," Duane Morris Alert, September 18, 2015
- Author, "Bureau of Industry and Security Amends EAR Implementing Removal of Cuba's Designation as State Sponsor of Terrorism," Duane Morris Alert, July 23, 2015
- Author, "Landmark Agreement on Iran's Nuclear Program Reached Under Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action," Duane Morris Alert, July 15, 2015
- Author,"OFAC Releases Guidance Concerning Travel Between the United States and Cuba," Duane Morris Alert, May 5, 2015
- Author,"OFAC Publishes Amendments to the Syrian Sanctions Regulations," Duane Morris Alert, April 13, 2015
- Author, "President Obama Signs Executive Order to Block Property of Those Engaging in Malicious Cyber-Enabled Activities," Duane Morris Alert, April 2, 2015
- Author, "Customs and Border Protection Issues Notice on Importation Provisions in OFAC's General License No. 5," Duane Morris Alert, January 8, 2015
- Author, "OFAC General License No. 5 Allows Certain Activities Prohibited by Executive Order 13685 in Order to Wind Down Operations in Crimea Region of Ukraine," Duane Morris Alert, January 5, 2015
- Author, "Significant Changes to U.S. Embargo of Cuba Likely in Place Within a Few Weeks," Duane Morris Alert, December 17, 2014
- Author, "OFAC Announces Additional Sanctions Against Individuals and Entities Providing Specialty Petroleum Products to Syria," Duane Morris Alert, December 17, 2014
- Author, "OFAC Publishes Guidance Relating to Provision of Temporary Sanctions Relief (Iran)," Duane Morris Alert, December 10, 2014
- Author, "CBP Issues Guidance on Acceptable Methods of Submitting Post-Importation Claims," Duane Morris Alert, September 9, 2014
- Author, "OFAC Issues General License G Regarding Certain Academic Exchanges and Educational Services in Iran," Duane Morris Alert, March 26, 2014
- Author, "Proposed Amendments to Export Administration Regulations on 'Routed Transactions' Issued by Commerce Department Bureau of Industry and Security," Duane Morris Alert, February 6, 2014
- Author, "OFAC Publishes Key Guidance Related to the Lifting of Certain Sanctions on Iran," Duane Morris Alert, January 22, 2014
- Author, "Revisions to the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) May Impact Exporters," Duane Morris Alert, December 23, 2013
- Author, "OFAC Issues Two General Licenses Affecting Iranian Transactions and Sanctions Regulations," Duane Morris Alert, September 10, 2013
- Author, "U.S. Customs and Border Protection Proposes Testing Method to Classify Footwear, Duane Morris Alert, March 27, 2013
- Co-author, "Proposed FTC Labeling Regulations Would Impact Manufacturers and Importers of Wearing Apparel," Duane Morris Alert, September 25, 2012
- "New Iran Sanctions May Impact Export Transactions," Duane Morris Alert, August 2, 2012
- "Office of the U.S. Trade Representative Requests Comments on Expanding WTO Duty-Free Pharmaceutical List," Duane Morris Alert, March 15, 2010
- "U.S. to Prohibit Drawback Claims for Excise Tax on Imports?" Duane Morris Alert, November 5, 2009
- "U.S. Customs and Border Protection Bars Use of Customs Bond Forms with Extraneous Information," Duane Morris Alert, May 4, 2009
- "State Department Issues Guidance on Licensing of Foreign Persons for Defense Services or Data Access," Duane Morris Alert, March 9, 2009
- "BIS Seeks Comments Regarding the Effects of U.S. Export Controls on Decisions to Use or Not to Use U.S.-Origin Parts and Components in Commercial Products," Duane Morris Alert, February 26, 2009
- "Uniform Rules on Country of Origin for Imported Goods Proposed by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection," Duane Morris Alert, July 30, 2008
- Co-Author, "Customs Issues Affecting Relocation to the United States," Canada/U.S. Relocation Manual: Immigration, Customs, Employment and Taxation Matters, 1998 and 2005
- "Changes to Watch Out For in Regulatory Audit Procedures," The British American Chamber of Commerce Trade Monitor, 1994
- A Guide to Customs Jurisprudence and Tariff Classification (With Emphasis on Chemical Products)," Japanese Chemical Makers Club (JCMC), September 1990
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Panelist, "Complying with Customs Laws and Regulations," The State Bar of California International Law Section Program on "Taking Your Practice International," San Diego, California, May 31, 2013
- Panelist, "Mexico's Customs and Trade Facilitation," United States-Mexico Chamber of Commerce, New York, September 17, 2008
- Speaker, "Doing Business With Canada" U.S.-Canada Cross Border Issues, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, November 3, 2005
- Speaker, "Exporting to Mexico - U.S. Customs and Border Protection Compliance: Articles Assembled Abroad with Components Produced in the U.S." Strategies for Trade & Investment in Mexico - March 21-22, 2005
- Speaker, "Ten Years of NAFTA Trade; An Update; Is The Free Trade Area of The Americas Far Behind?" Russell Bedford International Conference - January 19, 2004
- Speaker, "The Customs Auditors Are Coming!" Customs and International Trade Compliance Seminar, San Diego, California, December 1997
- Speaker, "Today's Pivotal Issues for Textile and Apparel Importers," hosted by Chemical Bank's Apparel/Textile/Retail Group, New York, New York, March 1994